Friday, April 4, 2014

How to Get True Colors Out

A girl can pack whitening toothpaste and natural brown hair dye in a suitcase, but true colors are going to come out sooner or later.

You can head south of the border and discover that a whole new world is waiting, and then wonder if you did well enough in the old one. And what’s it going to be like when you’re the foreigner, and do I even remember the last time I helped somebody in a pinch?

Yeah, there was the lady who ran out of gas, and I was on my way surely somewhere important. Asking if she needed anything seemed nice enough. She nodded kindly, and said she’d just wait for her sister. I’d torn right on out of the parking lot.

But it blazed orange-hot at the stoplight, and I figured I better go back because the wait could get long and those sweat beads can pool. And really, who’s the one sweating stuff here? I just hope somebody waits long with me the first time. And is hopefully a little more than nice enough.

And well, I’m headed to language school, where things will hardly come out right for awhile. And I can’t say I came right out as patient when I got someone from outside the states for a Customer Service representative this week. There may have been some huffing. Who exactly am I representing here?

A girl can board an airplane, and smile nice at the captain, but who’s smiling when the baby is crying in seat 22D at 10,000 feet, trying to clear her little pink ears already. Can somebody please clear out my ears a little better?

So you just have to raise the white flag. Because war’s on the flesh, and isn’t going to let up anytime soon.

I’m hoping the true colors come out for sure. Not my own scarlet, but the blood red. And the snow white. Because it’s not going to be me if I’m going to pass off this next gig with flying colors.

A girl can take off in this airplane, not always being gold glitter good, but maybe tickled pink after all. Because it’s a red-letter day when you have the chance to leave His mark on a new town.

2 comments:

  1. Misty praying that you get settled in and all your luggage made it with you! Diane Locklear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh! Bummed that I didn't get my hug!!! Actually, very glad I didn't! Misty, this household has been attacked with a crazy virus that feels like flu. I'm so thankful that I didn't send you off with it!!!! I am sad that I didn't get to see you though!!!! We are praying every day! You are going to have some amazing adventures to pen:) I love you!!! Be safe, sweet friend!!! Tisha

    ReplyDelete